Monday, February 23, 2015

Stewed Tomatoes

If you're looking for a stewed tomatoes recipe to go along with the Crusty Macaroni and Cheese, here is one we found that I think is pretty much perfect.

10 tomatoes (beef or roma variety)
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon dried parsley (or 1 tablespoon fresh)
1/2 cup chopped green pepper

1. Bring a large pot of water to boil, plunge tomatoes in for 30 seconds. Remove, put immediately in a ice bath.

2. Peel the tomatoes. Discard the skins.

3. Dice the tomatoes up to desired size.

4. In a large pot on medium heat, combine all ingredients.

5. Simmer for 30 minutes.

You can also skip the last three steps and pressure cook everything for about 10 minutes. They are more crushed tomatoes, but I like them a little better.




1 comment:

  1. I'm trying this for the first time right now - it's simmering on the stove this very minute and it's delicious!
    I've never had fresh stewed tomatoes before and now I'm sure I'll never want to eat canned again.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete